Max Verstappen says he will feature more heavily in the next series of Drive to Survive after meeting with the producers of a programme he previously accused of “faking rivalries”.voiced his unhappiness over his portrayal in the first season of Drive to Survive, which is produced by Box to Box Films. He reiterated his complaint last year and said he had refused to participate in the fourth series, which premiered in March on Netflix.
“They faked a few rivalries which they don’t really exist,” he said. “So I decided to not be a part of it and did not give any more interviews after that because then there is nothing you can show.”
F1 has already agreed for a fifth and sixth season of the series to be produced. The series’ CEO Stefano Domenicali said he intended to encourage drivers who had avoided taking part in the series to reconsider.
Verstappen said he has “talked to the people who are in charge and who are running the show” and “came to a good understanding for the future.”
“Last year I was not really involved,” he explained in an interview for Barstool Sports. “There were a few things I was not really happy with.
“Especially faking rivalries between drivers. That for me is a tough one because of course [the series] did wonders in America.
“But also I think sometimes they portray a few drivers differently to how they actually are. And then, of course, the people who are to have one are saying, ‘ooh, this guy’s a bit of a dick’ or whatever, which in real life he’s not.”
Although Verstappen has not co-operated with the programme makers since the first season, he has continued to appear in Drive to Survive as they are able to use footage shot in the paddock and supplied by FOM. However the world champion has now indicated he is co-operating with the team behind the programme once again.
“For the future we came to a good understanding of how we can work together,” he said. “So I’m sure in the next one you will see a little bit more of me.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Suzuka setup gamble awaits as teams learn little from rainy Friday
- Bottas gives thumb-up to Alfa Romeo’s “significant” front wing update
- Half of F1 teams bring updates for Japanese Grand Prix
- Red Bull confident in F1 cost cap submission despite FIA postponement
- Hamilton suspects Mercedes will lose grip on top spots when weather turns dry