The 2002 F1 season provided little in the way of quality racing action that might have formed the basis for an exciting season review. Even so, the official 2002 video is a stinker.
Most of the races were dreary processions won with ridiculous ease by Ferrari. The contest was so one-sided we even had the despairing sight of races being fixed in Austria and America.
It’s not likely that even a first-rate production could have salvaged the dreary material, and what we get falls well short of that. Yes, the picture quality is very good, but we can take that for granted these days.
The commentary, typically of this era of videos, is in a contrived “as the action happens” style which sounds dreadful. An unpleasant viewing experience is completed by intrusive background music which crashes into the footage with jarring regularity.
If you’re putting a collection of these videos together, put this one at the bottom of your wish list. There is nothing to recommend aboutt it.
Best bit: The spectacular first-corner crash in Australia was pretty much the only highlight in a rigidly dull season.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “F1 Manager 2022”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 management game
- “Formula 1’s Unsung Pioneers” book reviewed
- “Rick Mears – Thanks: The story of Rick Mears and the Mears gang” book reviewed
- “F1 22”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 game
- “F1: The Pinnacle”: book reviewed
- “The Science of the Racer’s Brain”: book reviewed
- “Moto GP 22”: the official Moto GP game reviewed
- “Monster Energy Supercross 5”: official game reviewed (PS5 – Xbox S|X)
- “Formula Helmet: The Glorious Years of Formula 1 Helmets 1969-99”: book reviewed
- “Assetto Corsa Competizione” – PS5 and Xbox Series S|X upgrade review