The 1998 season video suffers from the same irritating commentary that spoils the 1997 review. Again, all the races are covered in the same bland fashion, delivered as if the action is occurring live.
However, there’s good race footage and extra material in abundance, including plenty of driver and team principal interviews, mini-features and plenty of information on the substantial regulations changes that were made that year.
The 1998 season was not too short on excitement either, with some memorable shunts (Canada, Spa), incidents (Argentina, Spa again) and a down-to-the-wire championship battle. But the commentary is a massive turn-off and really spoils the repeat viewing potential – even for the truly committed fan.
Best bit: The entire Belgian Grand Prix, from the huge start-line crash to Michael Schumacher’s run-in with David Coulthard to Damon Hill’s crazy victory leap.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “F1 Manager 2022”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 management game
- “Formula 1’s Unsung Pioneers” book reviewed
- “Rick Mears – Thanks: The story of Rick Mears and the Mears gang” book reviewed
- “F1 22”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 game
- “F1: The Pinnacle”: book reviewed
- “The Science of the Racer’s Brain”: book reviewed
- “Moto GP 22”: the official Moto GP game reviewed
- “Monster Energy Supercross 5”: official game reviewed (PS5 – Xbox S|X)
- “Formula Helmet: The Glorious Years of Formula 1 Helmets 1969-99”: book reviewed
- “Assetto Corsa Competizione” – PS5 and Xbox Series S|X upgrade review