Damon Hill’s championship-winning season was not the gritty overcoming of adversity it might have been, but there were a few exciting moments along the way which form the high points of this video.
They include the soaking wet race at Interlagos, the Monaco debacle where only three cars were running at the end and Jacques Villeneuve’s various adventures in his remarkable debut season.
The video production leaves a lot to be desired. The commentary is decidedly indifferent and the actual composition of the video towards the end is decidedly dodgy – a montage purportedly showing ‘nightmare scenario’ outcomes of Hill’s title bid includes various clips that make no sense in the context. Perhaps this was rushed out for the 1996 Christmas market?
On the whole a hit-and-miss effort, more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’.
Best bit: Driver-turned-commentator Martin Brundle’s staggering shunt at Melbourne – followed by a gutsy return for the restart in the spare Jordan.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “F1 Manager 2022”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 management game
- “Formula 1’s Unsung Pioneers” book reviewed
- “Rick Mears – Thanks: The story of Rick Mears and the Mears gang” book reviewed
- “F1 22”: The RaceFans review of the official Formula 1 game
- “F1: The Pinnacle”: book reviewed
- “The Science of the Racer’s Brain”: book reviewed
- “Moto GP 22”: the official Moto GP game reviewed
- “Monster Energy Supercross 5”: official game reviewed (PS5 – Xbox S|X)
- “Formula Helmet: The Glorious Years of Formula 1 Helmets 1969-99”: book reviewed
- “Assetto Corsa Competizione” – PS5 and Xbox Series S|X upgrade review